I have been wanting to try out a recipe for home made laundry detergent and I have finally done it! My husband gets itchy and gets little red bumps from a lot of different products so I wanted to create one that I knew was going to be safe for his skin and keep our clothes really clean! It smells so great and gets my clothes really clean, did I mention it is super cheap as well?!?! (I love to save money!)
I added a little more Oxiclean to mine than she did because we typically put it in every load to keep our clothes bright.
It makes 2 gallons of detergent.
76 oz box of Borax – $3.97 at Walmart
55 oz box of Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda – $3.97 at Walmart
3 lb container of Oxiclean -$7.52 at Walmart
4lb box of Arm & Hammer Baking Soda – $2.24 at Walmart
2 bars of Zote Soap (grated) – $0.97 each at Walmart
- Mix Borax, Washing Soda, and Oxiclean in large bucket. I used a plastic box. You could use a 5 gallon bucket.
- Grate Zote Soap with a food processor or cheese grater.
- Once Zote Soap is grated, place 2 cups of shredded soap and 1 cup of baking soda in food processor and blend again.
- Blend until it creates a powder.
- Add each batch of the soap and baking soda mixture to your other ingredients.
- Once all the soap and baking soda is blended and added begin mixing them all together. I used a large serving spoon to mix mine.
- Add to a container and your all done!
All the ingredients cost $19.64. It made 15 quarts of detergent, if I use 1 ounce a load I will get 480 loads out of this batch of detergent. That means it only cost $0.04 a load!
4 Cents a load!
You just can’t beat that! My husband even said it smells like the best laundry detergent he has smelled.
Let me know if you have ever made your own detergent liquid or powder.